Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Back to School Read Alouds :)

Are you a Read Aloud loving teacher?  I am... and one thing I am super excited about doing more of this year is MORE Read Alouds with my students.  


I have found a few books I am looking forward to reading with my kiddos to build community, communicate the idea of tough love in a way they can understand, and show them how excited I am that they are back.



Drum roll please..........!!!



"Oh, the Places You'll Go!" by Dr. Seuss

Oh, the Places You'll Go!



I love this one (I do it every year) because I compare it to our school year and that it will be an adventure, and that sometimes it will be challenging, sometimes it will be fun, etc. and that if we persevere and always do our best, we will look back on it fondly! 


"You're Finally Here!"  by Melanie Watt

 

























 I can't wait to read this to them the first day of school.  It is a silly story about this rabbit who has been waiting "forever" for them!  I want them to know that I am SO excited and glad that they are there!  


 "Have You Filled a Bucket Today?" by Carl McCloud

















 
 This sounds like a great read to encourage them to lift each other up and not tear each other down!  (It's a lesson everyone of us can benefit from...)  


"No, David!" by David Shannon

















 




I have a colleague who reads this every year to her students.  She uses it as a way to remind them that sometimes she will have to be tough on them, but that at the end of the day she loves them and wants the best for them!!  It's silly and the pictures are bright and funny looking, so I know they will love this one.  :)

What do YOU do to start the year off with?  What Read Alouds do you have to share?

~ Miss McDonald

2 comments:

  1. If You Give a Moose a Muffin and Jesse Bear are two of my favorites! LOL! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you checked out Collaboration Cuties Mentor Text link ups? TONS of great read alouds/mentor texts on their blog!

    ReplyDelete