Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Wednesday Wrote It!

I had this great idea the other day to start making my own names for the days of the week, similar to "Monday Made It".  Right now I am trying out "Wednesday Wrote It"- but we will see how that one goes.. :)  I also have an idea for Tues, Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sun... but you will have to come back on those days to see what it is!

As Summer School winds down for HCPSS, I am beginning to shift my thinking towards next school year and all of the things I want to do.  One book I have been reading (and LOVING) is "The Book Whisperer" by Donalyn Miller.


I am so inspired and excited to get back to school and start implementing my revamped Reader's Workshop!  I love the emphasis she puts on how important it is for kids to just read and that spending so much time in interventions means nothing if they have no time to apply it! This seems so intuitive, but why haven't we embraced it yet?  We try so hard to fill our reading blocks with seat work and centers and accountability sheets, when in reality our focus should be creating life long readers.  She suggests we do this by helping guide our students to books that contain the things they enjoy, that spark their interest, or that resonate with them- be it personally, socially, etc.  By doing this, the hope is that we create this tiny flame that grows over time as they discover the joys, adventures, sorrows, happiness, etc. of books they read. 

On top of that inspiration, I went to a meeting with my new and amazing Fourth Grade team.  HOLY COW!  Talk about a group of passionate, motivated individuals who are just as excited about teaching as I am!  I love it.  It is so energizing to be around people like that!  I can only hope I do the same for them.

As a cherry on top of this wonderful day, I am including for you a FREE copy of my "Who Are You" Reading interest survey.  Just click this link to my TPT store, and download it!!


Fellow bloggers- I have one question for you.  How do I link a certain phrase, image, etc to the actual document?  I couldn't find any way to include the document in here.  I could only create a link to my TPT store.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I hope you have enjoyed your Wednesday, and Happy "Wednesday Wrote It!"

~Miss McDonald :)

3 comments:

  1. Love this book! Cool site, dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is my understanding that your document needs to be housed somewhere web accessible. I have linked to files in google docs and Dropbox (both of which are places you could easily put a document).

    Heather
    room 4 imagination

    ReplyDelete