Monday, March 17, 2014

March- In like a lion, out like a.... Reading Challenge?

As March ticks by here in Maryland, I believe we have experienced all 4 seasons without having to travel anywhere!  It went from 60 degrees on Saturday to cool on Sunday to 7 inches of snow today!  Which means today is a... snow day! AHH another one!  At this rate, we will be in school through July 1st! 

As you probably noticed, the last time I blogged was December 15, 2013... exactly 3 months ago.  I think I have been subconsciously avoiding my blog because I am embarrassed at how quickly I lost steam with it..  But I decided today to woman up and get back on the blogging horse!  I love the community it brings, and there's something so exciting about being a part of the action.

I have found that this school year, due to being such a difficult one filled with SO much change, it is easy to make excuses for things.  I am making an effort to stop doing that!  I love  teaching.. that is what my heart's passion is.

 Today I am sharing with you a fun Made-It that involves motivating my students to read!  I call them "Reading Challenges", and each month has a new theme.  Some months there is a reward for completing the challenge, and others is bragging rights.  I am trying to help them learn to read for enjoyment and not for a Pizza Hut certificate, prize, etc. 

Each night, they are to read 15 minutes and have a parent initial.  Each token on their pot of gold is worth 15 minutes of reading time. 




 
 My kiddos love getting their reading challenge at the beginning of each month.  For April, I am thinking rain drops and umbrellas, sunshine... Do you have any ideas?

Next on my list for today is these delicious Chocolate Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins from Skinnytaste.. but I think I will make it in a loaf form instead of muffins.. And Omit the sugary glaze..  YUM! Click the picture to be taken to the Recipe!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/08/chocolate-chocolate-chip-banana-muffins.html


I hope you have a great week. Thanks for staying loyal!  I promise I am going to work on being a better blog-girl! :)

Love,
Miss McDonald :)

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back! Love the idea of the Reading Challenge. I quit doing reading logs with my 5th graders, but this is something that might enjoy! The muffins look yummy!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete